Thursday, November 24, 2011

"Tunguska"

Aired: November 24, 1996 (Part 1)

Krycek Lives!

This is an instance where I need to turn off my brain and just hang on for an amazing ride. With my brain on I kept asking, "is this alien rock the same as the oil from last season?" When my brain is off, I can enjoy it for being the most action-packed and fast-paced hour since Season Three's "731."

Krycek is back, having been released by a terrorist group, and he then tips off Mulder about their activities. Now that they've teamed up, he leads Mulder to a rock from outer space, that just happened to be left behind at an airport. But then my brain came back on and asked why that guy was so stupid to leave behind something so valuable. Darn it, brain! If I just relax, I can enjoy the excellent and intense sequences too. The scientist cutting into the rock and splattering it onto his suit, Krycek being handcuffed to a balcony railing, and Krycek and Mulder being chased through the woods are just a few of the excellent scenes. It proves how good their budget was and also how amazing the production crew was when you watch Krycek dangling from Skinner's balcony, then pulling someone over with him. I even started to feel sorry for him after all the abuse he took from Mulder and Skinner.

The episode ended in Russia, which made my brain come back on again. Mulder flies off to New York to get information from his new source with Krycek, only to take him along with him to fly to Russia. How does he get the kind of money to travel so much! No matter how he made it to Russia, it did end my sympathy for Krycek. He gave Mulder to these Russian scientists, who wrapped him up in chicken wire and exposed him to the black oil. The X-Files certainly knows how to deliver creepy visuals, which made for an excellent cliffhanger.


Meanwhile Scully and Skinner are being questioned by a Senate Committee. No doubt this is the work of the Syndicate to use them as scapegoats to cover up the fact that they misplaced the alien rock. I did like the quick scene between CSM and the Well-Manicured Man (R.I.P.), where Old Smokey is told this will take more than having good aim to cover up. Now whether or not you believe CSM is a Presidential assassin, I took this as a reference to last week's episode; though he could have also meant the executions of Bill Mulder and Melissa Scully. Either way you take it, I loved "Tunguska." It doesn't answer anything, in fact it adds the oil to a conspiracy involving bees, clones, and hybrids. Next week's episode is too far away!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. This is a great episode. Very action-packed and exciting. I'm glad you didn't let your brain ruin it for you! Happy Thanksgiving.
    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sucks! I wanna watch the next part right now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've disappeared from Facebook, and TB and I are worried. Can you get in touch with one of us to let us know you're okay? My email is my first name @ my last name.net. Love, B

    ReplyDelete