Friday, November 9, 2012

"Redux II"

"Too freakin' amazing."
Originally Aired 11/9/97


One sorry son of a bitch speaking.
This is one of the hardest reviews I've ever written. That's not because I didn't enjoy this hour of The X-Files, it's because I think my expectations were too great to be matched. I think I focused much more on the interesting choices that Fox Mulder was offered than I did on the path that he did choose. I cannot comment on what didn't happen in an episode or on what should have happened, especially not on a fifteen year old television series. I would sound quite silly.

On the surface it may seem like "Gethsemane" and "Redux I" sought to take The X-Files series into a bold new direction, but when you watch "Redux II" and reach the closing moments, you come to realize that what this 3-part story did was take its direction inward. Scully's cancer and seeking its cure has brought Mulder and Scully closer than ever. I really wanted to see Mulder accept the deal offered from the Cigarette Smoking Man, which could have produced some interesting episodes unlike what we've seen before. Even the teaser that the Smoking Man offered to Mulder which was seeing his sister offered up new possibilities. It was clear from the start that this was just a ruse; she was probably one of the clones from Season Two. And what of Michael Kritchsgau? He had a lot of screen time in the first two installments but this time he's reduced to a brief scene as part of the hearing.

I can't review what I didn't see, but there were still a few flaws within the episode. The Elder is seriously the worst regular character I've seen in this show's history. I think they signed this guy to the role more for his presence than for any acting talent that he has. Also, the scene where Mulder visits Scully in her room one last time before testifying at the FBI Panel hearing, ruined any suspense that the climax was supposed to have. The climax with Mulder testifying, Scully and her pastor praying, and the Smoking Man in his apartment is still an excellent piece of editing work, acting from all involved, along with the music from Mark Snow, yet I think Chris Carter blew it...slightly. Mulder was at Scully's bedside in tears and it seemed like he was about to accept the deal. The next morning he tells Scully that he's not and that he believes Skinner is telling the truth. I wish Mulder had said he was unsure, Scully told him that her faith has been restored and hopes his will be, then maybe Mulder decides after seeing Scully at peace; it just seemed reversed to me. One small moment that I did like was when The Elder is first shown he is watching a mini tv set. Later Skinner jots down the name "Roush", then rather than show him investigating Roush, they have him appear on The Elder's tv set. Neat effects and editing work there.

Also, for four years now during these reviews I often question the consequences, if any, that Mulder has for breaking the rules. He's always jeopardizing his job or letting criminals loose in his sleep (like "Paper Hearts"), so to see him actually testify before his superiors about his actions is a nice nod to those episodes. It was also neat to actually have a series of episodes that wasn't related to any type of monster, mutant, or alien. This was solely about Mulder, Scully, and the evils inside the FBI. Kind of a nice distraction, actually, which is funny coming from me since I really only wanted monsters when I first became a fan.

While "Redux II" didn't open any doors to new storylines, what it did act as was a very good closing to the first four years of The X-Files and also Scully's cancer. Mulder and Scully are closer than before, Skinner is clearly their boss and mentor, and all 3 are safe in their positions at the FBI...for now.

Thanks buddy.

4 comments:

  1. No, not at all. I overhyped it up myself, because I wanted Mulder to take the deal, even though I knew he wouldn't. I figured since they knew Gillian was gone for an episode or two, they should've had Mulder for CSM in the third episode. It felt like that could have served as a series finale too, if this was it.

    Oh well. I was thinking about that deal and other things that they could have done post-Redux, and it seems like ALL of that happens in Season 7! Isn't Mulder offered a "deal" in his head in "Amor Fati"? Revisiting the Samantha story is in Season 7, same with another "deal" with CSM, when Scully joins him to find a cure. Sounds like Carter ended the Syndicate, then suddenly remembered all this stuff to follow up "Redux 2." Looks like I have a lot to look forward to in two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to say sorry for being part of the 'hype machine' Andy. really am. Suffice to say I love this one it really blew me away when I first watched it and it still does. My only gripe come to think of it is the resolution to Scully's cancer. Back in 1997 when Gethesemane was first broadcast, Chris Carter said he wasn't going to resolve Scully's cancer to easily and yet all Mulder does is find a chip and all is right in the world, but still, great performances from everyone involved and yet, reading your review I can't help but feel what the show would have been like if it allowed itself to follow a different course for a few episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't ruin anything; I ruined it for myself. I started thinking the things this episode "set up", like CSM's deal to Mulder and even the possibility that Samantha was returned to a different life, were really interesting but I knew nothing would come of it. Aside from that, what the episode did do was still interesting. I just think that conversation with Mulder and Scully before he testifies telegraphed the ending.

      Delete
    2. But you know what I realized, that what I wanted to follow "Redux II", with a deal from CSM and Samantha being followed up, actually happens in Season 7. Its like Carter forgot about it and then did it two years later when he remembered.

      Delete