Sunday, October 16, 2011

Home Sweet "Home"

Originally Aired 10/11/96

 
Nothing about this home is sweet. It may appear to be a nice, peaceful all-American town but it has an old farm house on the edge of town where three brothers have a secret hidden under their bed. Morgan & Wong returned to The X-Files with a bang after a season-long absence. This is a really dark episode about evil, inbred hillbillies but it also has touches of humor and heart, as Mulder and Scully discuss motherhood. I don't think its supposed to be presented as "funny" but what I picked up on this time while watching the episode is that Mulder repeats dialogue from the nature show he was watching the night before while witnessing the Peacocks killing the deputy. But my favorite moment of the episode is this:


You know whats actually a scary thought? This family was caught because they buried that deformed baby where kids play baseball, which brought Mulder and Scully to town. My guess is that they've tried making deformed babies before, they were just more successful at hiding them. That whole field could actually be full of dead Peacock childen. YIKES!

The only fault I can find is that Mulder and Scully should've called for back-up in their raid of the Peacock residence, especially after Scully witnessed the deputy being killed by a booby trap. She was even the one who asked if bullet-proof vests were necessary! I guess Scully doesn't have a good short-term memory. Although if they had called for back up and taken the house by force, it would've deprived us of the suspenseful revealing of the mother on her wheelie cart and then the open-ending where they get away with her in the trunk. You don't just lock-up mutated people and call it a day, that's not The X-Files' way!

While Herrenvolk didn't feel up to par, Home more than makes up for it. I have a lot of brand new episodes this season to look forward to and I'm glad Morgan & Wong have a few more left. I'll give their first effort of Season 4 a score of a 4.5

2 comments:

  1. I've thought a lot about this, and I've come to the conclusion that "Home" is my very favorite X-File. Like you, I appreciate the humor in it as well as the more heartfelt moments between Mulder and Scully. And the creepiness factor of the hillbilly family cannot be beat! I would like to say, however, that I thought that running into that booby-trapped house without backup was pure Mulder/Scully. They always take on horrors without assistance. That's perhaps what makes them so interesting. It's them against the world.

    I'm glad you liked this episode as much (maybe not quite) as I do! Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, that is typical Mulder! But it doesn't seem like typical Scully, especially after she saw the deputy die from that booby trap.

    ReplyDelete