Tuesday, October 18, 2011

"Teliko"


I'm sorry Howard Gordon but this was nothing more than a typical hour of The X-Files. These episodes are always the hardest to write about too. It had the typical Mulder humor, Scully's science, cool visuals, and then a cover-up of the crimes. At times it even reminded me a bit of "Squeeze" because of the way the guy could fit into tiny spaces like air ducts. I felt the episode was saved by its ending sequence where Scully crawled into his nest and found his stash of bodies. The villain's red eyes were neat effect and looked creepy when he was peeking out from drawers or through cracks in doors. Although the guy pulling his little pipe or stick out of his throat was kind of weird.

Another thing to note is that this is the final Friday night episode of The X-Files. It moved to Sunday nights, starting with "Unruhe", so I'll also move when I watch each episode to Thursday. For its Friday farewell, "Teliko" scores a 2.5, which is probably the lowest score I've given since Season Two. It wasn't bad, just like I said before, it has a "been there, done that" feel to it.

7 comments:

  1. Agreed, I hate writing about ""generic" episodes. They don't own yet they don't suck... nothing to praise OR tear apart. What else can you say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this wasn't good bashing material. :-?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A typical hour" is a good way to describe this one. Yet another episode I never re-watch. Good review, though. Love, B

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of Howard Gordon's on the series, I think a lot of what he did was underrated, but I gotta agree with you here, this is not one of his best. It's an episode that simply exists and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read some of your reviews and noticed that about Howard Gordon. I guess I never picked up that a lot of them, if not all, are supernatural revenge stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are pretty much his story telling staple on the show, but they're good, well told stories and I like that about them, some are better than others, admittedly, but his good far outweighs the bad as far as I'm concerned. Teliko isn't his best though, it's not bad, it's just bland and a little uninteresting. Given the racial slant that it's dealing with, it really ought to be more dangerous a tale than it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just popped in my head, after watching The Muppets movie, probably because of the Jack Black connection. "D.P.O." might be his only non-supernatural revenge episode, since its more like teen-angst revenge.

    ReplyDelete