Tuesday, September 11, 2012

X-Files Rerun "Tooms"

"You can get the next mutant."
Originally Aired 4/22/94

Best red herring ever?
Following the Pilot and the Season One finale, I believe this is the most important episode of the first season. “Beyond the Sea”, with the introduction of Scully’s family, gives this episode a run at that claim; however “Tooms” is the first sequel in the series’ history. A few earlier episodes this season can be connected as the foundation of the mythology (“Pilot”, “Deep Throat”, “Fallen Angel”, “E.B.E.”), yet the events of those episodes were never followed up, like the disappearance of Max Fenig. Besides featuring the return of one of my favorite villains, Eugene Victor Tooms, this episode also features the return of the mysterious suited smoker, and introduces the X-Files’ superior, Assistant Director Skinner.

I really liked the introduction of Skinner because Scully’s job of debunking Mulder was never really followed up on as much as I think it could have been. While she did type up reports during episodes and she was always challenging Mulder’s theories, she only met with that Section Chief Blevins guy one other time. I bet there might have been the idea to keep Mulder and Scully at odds longer but producers and writers may have noticed the chemistry of Gillian and David, so they changed plans. So I think Skinner was there to add that mysterious element; is he a friend or a foe, even a tool of this smoking man? And adding him actually brought them closer together.

After making this statement, I have another: while I love “Squeeze”, I’ve rarely watched “Tooms.” It’s probably strange but I can’t explain it. I just remember that Tooms is released on parole, and then he tries to frame Mulder, before getting grinded into bits under an escalator. It is a really fun episode with plenty of creepy moments and humor from Mulder. Tooms just acts way creepier here and what I call his “liver vision” is more effective. Though I still wonder if he hibernates 30 years, then wakes up to feed, how did he ever age enough to become a healthy-looking 30 year old man? It could have been cool to follow up on the body they found in concrete and how he was actually linked to Tooms, though the direction they went with the story worked well enough. Another thing I want to mention is that people have said The Cigarette-Smoking Man is the series’ version of Darth Vader, yet after seeing him sitting in the chair with his weathered face, he is more like the Emperor in the Star Wars movies. He’s the puppet-master who’s pulling Skinner’s strings.

I liked the ending as well with Mulder telling Scully that a change is coming. After watching Seasons 3 and 4 and noticing that the final standalone hints at what’s to come in the finale, it seems like “Tooms” could be better suited before “The Erlenmeyer Flask”. Now we'll have two more standalones to ponder what’s on the horizon for Mulder and Scully.

4 comments:

  1. "it seems like “Tooms” could be better suited before “The Erlenmeyer Flask”."

    I completely agree with you on this, they set it up so well to come just before the season finale. But it was the first season and I really think the creators were still in some growing pains here, figuring out where the show would go.

    I go back and forth on which of the Squeeze/Tooms episodes I like more, and I'm stuck because to me there are two different underlying stories at work. To me, 'Squeeze' was much more about the partnership coming together for Mulder and Scully, whereas 'Tooms' digs much deeper into the moster that is Eugene Victor Tooms.
    I suppose it's not so important that I actually PICK a favorite between the two, but I just like thinking about how well they complement each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! I appreciate it. I always pick "Squeeze" because sometimes I think I forget about "Tooms".

      Delete
  2. I think this episode signifies much change in emotion and development and is another big building block to the way The X-Files is structured as we know it,this is why 'Tooms' just shades it for me. Plus that ending, quality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree on this one being a good setup for the season finale. You make a good point about Skinner, I think they needed to set up another layer in between Mulder & Scully and the greater conspiracy, and Skinner is perfect for this role early in the series. I confess it's been so long since I've really watched the first season all the way through, you kind of forget how mysterious his character was, he really could have gone either way at this point. Anyway, great review. I love reading other people gushing over this episode as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete