Friday, May 18, 2012

"Gethsemane"

No witty quotes since I'm too busy crying.
Originally Aired 5/18/97


Where's his Emmy?
I hate to say this but I feel underwhelmed. Perhaps I have built up this episode too much over the last week following "Demons" or it could be that the course of watching the series in order is nearing the spot at which I know more about the mythology. I've known for awhile that this is where the cancer comes to a head and what consequences it has on Mulder, I just didn't know the specifics. I also feel the need to apologize since my usual goal in writing reviews is to discuss an episode without revealing too many details, but this review is heavy on spoilers (of course, this episode is fifteen years old. heh)

It seemed that Mulder committed suicide because he was duped yet from the start he's skeptical about the discovery of the alien. I think the ending with Mulder has more to do with feelings of guilt. He pulled Scully away from a family dinner, but not just that, she lost her sister because of working on The X-Files and now she will lose her own life. That's quite a lot to weigh on someone's conscious. I know its just a television series, yet it's a little hard to watch that final scene with Mulder on his couch as he realizes that he's caused all of this death and destruction. But why kill yourself? Why not just resign from the FBI like he wanted to do in Season Two?

Perhaps "Gethsemane" is still slightly underwhelming because its not typical of an X-Files season finale, maybe not even typical of a mythology episode. There is no sign of The Syndicate, who have been considerably absent this season. There aren't even any other supporting characters like the Lone Gunmen nor Marita Covarrubias. We do see Scully's mother and brother, who shares a really good moment with Scully, which I'd say is the shining moment of the episode. Another new character is introduced named Michael Kritschgau, who reveals the conspiracy to Mulder and Scully. I do think what he has to say is neat and shows the great lengths that the government has went to, including pouring this fake alien material through tubes so it can be frozen in ice.

I would think that something this Earth-shattering, with Mulder killing himself, would have a massive effect on him and may even change the dynamic of the show. Yet I know that by this time "next year" will be The X-Files movie, so Mulder needs to firmly become a believer again. So why tease this to Mulder if it won't impact the series? It kind of feels like I'm being cheated and this would be better left as a post-movie development for the series. But see, this is what happens since I have watched too much and now I'm going backwards to watch in order; things cannot be unseen or unlearned.


I do over-think everything, even more when it comes to The X-Files. After all of the drama and darkness this season, I was beginning to think that Season 4 was a turning point, actually a new chapter in the series. In the middle of the season Scully was told she had cancer ("Leonard Betts"), then in the next episode she acts slightly out of characer ("Never Again.") The placement of that episode will forever be debated but it seems that its in the proper spot. Much like Mulder's decision to kill himself in this episode, the thought of cancer could've made Scully become irrational, too. In "Memento Mori", the cancer was confirmed true, which I believed was the start of that new chapter. The impact of cancer to Mulder and Scully is what could have stirred up feelings of love for each other. I also think the end of Season 4 was the start of something for Chris Carter, that he wanted to add a philosophical layer to the show that it lacked. Questioning the existence of God is a big step, I just think Chris may have lacked the ability to fully form his thoughts into words. Instead, Mulder and Scully speak in long monologues and conversations that almost feel like a child searching for the biggest words in a thesaurus. However, like all of these mythology episodes, its just the first part of a larger story, so I am anxiously awaiting Season 5 in November.

My Top 5 from Season 4:
1. Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man
2. Small Potatoes
3. Home
4. Paper Hearts
5. Demons

No comments:

Post a Comment