Tuesday, May 15, 2012

X-Files Rerun "Eve"

Originally Aired 12/10/93

Nice teeth!
The deeper I get into the mythology, the more I am reminded of this episode. It featured the idea of cloning and the consequences of that, like a side effect that the clones are more violent with each generation. I keep thinking about how many different sets of clones we've seen over the years and whether they're all related to the Syndicate. I'm sure its pointless to ponder such things.

As for the episode itself, I enjoy it every time I watch it because its not just an interesting story, it's chilling, too. There's just something that isn't right about those girls finishing each others sentences. Child actors are always a mixed bag but these roles don't really require them to play anything other than creepy, which they did a fine job. Now as for the Adult Eve, one was good, one was evil, the other was kooky; quite the range of acting there! I enjoyed her acting and also the appearance of Deep Throat is always welcome. His presence makes these standalones seem more important, so I'll just assume the Adam and Eve clones really were a Syndicate project. My belief is that the Syndicate abandoned them once it was discovered they were defective clones, due to the violent side effects. Ever since the first time I watched this, I felt that it deserved a sequel as much as the other stories that were given a sequel, if not more. Though now that I've almost finished the 4th Season, I've realized an "Eve" sequel would already enter the territory they covered with the mythology. Perhaps that's even why the myth featured clones; Carter could've borrowed it for his own use.

I just realized I've barely even talked about the episode itself. I kept talking about "what if's." Back to the episode, I'll say that the dark and moody atmosphere really enhanced this story; just look at the photo I used. The mental hospital scenes were dark and creepy, as well as the sequences where the girls where abducted from their rooms. Eve crashing through the sliding glass door was pretty cool too. In fact while watching it this time, I finally noticed the Eves are given super strength, explaining that door-busting moment. Pretty cool.

5 comments:

  1. I know it probably wasn't intended and occured before the events of Colony and the introduction of The Syndicate, in retrospect it is fun to think of the Adam and Eve program as being a Syndicate project.

    Overall, it's a great one this, I really like it, plus I love the Silence of the Lambs vibe of the prison scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments today. This is one of my favorites from Season One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome, sorry for being missing in action the last few weeks, but normal service has hopefully resume.

    Definitely a great episode, and Harriet Harris is without doubt one of the most memorable guest stars in the show's history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about being absent. Life often gets in the way.

      Delete
  4. That's an interesting idea about this being an abandoned Syndicate project. Also- wasn't that the creepiest prison? I love that barred hexagon-shaped staircase, they should have used that set again.

    ReplyDelete