Friday, May 18, 2012

X-Files Rerun "Lazarus"

"Two men died in that crash room, Scully. One man came back."
Originally Aired 2/4/94


You're a little late for Halloween.
Rewatching "Lazarus" has been one of the most surprising rewatches since I started reviewing episodes. I think that before it could have been lost in the shuffle between great episodes like "Beyond the Sea" and "Ice" and the lesser episodes like "Genderbender" and "Space." Its not only a great thriller but there are also a few interesting turns in the story.

One thing I enjoy about Season One is that there are episodes where we get to know Mulder and Scully better through someone from their past. It was about time Scully had another turn since "Ghost in the Machine" had a former partner of Mulder and I could also include "Beyond the Sea", because Mulder said Luther Lee Boggs liked the profile he had made. As I get further into the series, I tend to forget that's Mulder's background before The X-Files, and I think a few of the writers would forget that, too. In this episode its Chris Allport as Agent Jack Willis, who was kind of a lover and mentor of Scully when she was getting her start in the FBI. Through strange circumstances he becomes "possessed" by a criminal, which means Allport has a dual role in this episode.

There really is a lot going on in this episode, from Mulder using his smarts and showing good investigative work to Scully losing someone else who was close to her. I like that everything has a pay-off later, like Scully's fear of the anonymous tip to a plane heard briefly when searching unsuccessfully for Lula. Humor is also present because I laughed when the detective said Lula's brother doesn't have any family resemblance after taking a gunshot to the face. Grim, I know, but I chuckled.

"Lazarus" is an episode I would call the "sleeper hit" of Season One.

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely put this episode between the examples you mention, but I still enjoy it quite a bit.
    I forget how important these 'blasts from the past' were to the audience in getting to know the main characters! They certainly are a large part of season one.

    ReplyDelete