Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Kaddish"

"A Jew pulled it off 2000 years ago."
Originally Aired 2/16/97


I prayed that I would like this episode too...
Having never seen this episode before, it didn't grab me the first time, nor even the third viewing. I really wanted to give this episode a chance, so even having fallen asleep a few times, I decided I would watch it once from start to finish before I could write this review. While its not the best executed, I do appreciate the thought behind it.

"Kaddish" is a dark, twisted love story. Its similar in theme to the Pet Semetary movie (well, Stephen King story), in that bringing someone back to life doesn't always have the intended consequences. This episode is also "classic" Howard Gordon, because a fellow writer refers to his tales as being supernatural revenge stories. A victim of a hate crime within a Jewish community dies, then he's brought back to life to avenge his death. I know that sounds very exciting, yet its hardly suspenseful. The "living dead" has a chance to off the remaining two of his killers, yet he just kills them one at a time, maybe to fill time and stretch this episode out to a full hour. It also seems a lot heavier on dialogue than most X-Files episodes. I never understood how or why the kid was in the Jewish church.

I always try to find the good in every episode of this series and there are some within "Kaddish." I love the darkness in this episode, even the dark precinct, because I always think to myself that police couldn't afford to pay their light bill. Also, the scene at the end of the teaser where the mud man comes to life, with his chest rising after taking a breath was neat. Later at the end, when the "villain" or "golem" ceases to live was excellently executed special effort that The X-Files is known for. I can't state that "Kaddish" is the worst among the 4th Season episodes so far, yet it doesn't seem like one I will revisit regularly. Perhaps when I need to something to watch at bedtime.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I barely remember this episode. I think I've only seen it maybe twice ever, and it's not very memorable. But you've inspired me to check it out again. I LOVE your photo caption. It made me laugh out loud. Good review, Andy, as usual! Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do watch it, I hope it doesn't put you to sleep too.

    ReplyDelete