Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Memento Mori"

Originally Aired 2/9/97


So here it is, one of the remaining Holy Grails of the unseen episodes. This is the episode where Scully's family and Mulder learn she has cancer, it earned Gillian Anderson an Emmy Award, also was nominated for a Best Writing Emmy, and was the sole "Mythology" episode included on the "best of" The X-Files dvd release back in 2008. Perhaps that put a lot of pressure on it to deliver.

While Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny deliver their usual awesome performance we've come to expect, its nice that the media was finally recognizing it. However, "Memento Mori" felt like a blend of plot threads we've seen before- clones, more clones in tanks, stilettos, even Mulder demanding to meet the Smoking Man. I guess that's not so much a complaint as it is an observation; just processing all that I have seen. I liked the references back to previous episodes, like the clones in the tanks in "The Erlenmeyer Flask", the MUFON Group in "Nisei" (I think it was even on Max's hat in Season One), and the bubbling green alien blood in this episode shows an increase in the budget. Before it just looked like jello, now its sizzling! Too bad the reference to "One Breath" was cut for time, though I understand why as it would just bring the fast-paced hour to a halt.

I felt that the most interesting moments in "Memento Mori" did not even involve the main characters. Instead I loved the scene with Mrs. Scully, where she was angry with her daughter for not telling her sooner that she had cancer. They have put Mrs. Scully through the wringer- she lost her husband and daughter, her other daughter was abducted and returned on life support, and finally Scully went crazy and nearly killed her partner in front of her. It's about time Mrs. Scully let loose!

Another interesting element to this episode is when The Lone Gunmen get involved in the field with Mulder. In the first 3 seasons, they would always have help in these episodes, whether from X, Deep Throat, or even Skinner. All season long they've been on their own so it was nice to see an expanded role for the trio.

Okay, I guess my only complaint is just the many uses of clones. They've had those cloned doctors and Samantha clones in Season 2, cloned children earlier this season, now cloned guys from fertilized eggs. Are all of these experiments related to each other? And if they're all hybrids, are they from the same experiments in "The Erlenmeyer Flask"? Could be just a means to an end so we can go from cancer to Skinner's deal with The Smoking Man. I've said earlier this season that I am enjoying the character moments more than the actual alien happenings, so...why am I complaining again?

4 comments:

  1. You know what, this is unoriginal stuff, it does take many elements from previous mythology episodes and uses them to tell its story, but I think its the characters that make this so good, and I totally agree with you, scenes like Margaret Scully's reaction to learning of Scullys cancer is superbly well done. I didn't realise it before but, damn, that woman has been through a lot, hasn't she.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true: the characterization in this episode is what makes it so good. Of all the mythology episodes, I think this one is my favorite. I love the desperation, the sorrow, all of the intense emotions the characters experience with Scully on the brink of death. It brings the viewer so much closer to the characters. Having Scully sit there at the bedside of her dying friend and struggle with the horrible realization that she's the only one left, and probably not for long, just gives me shivers. And, like you, I was happy to see the Lone Gunmen making a larger contribution. Nice work, Andy!
    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, perhaps I should give this more credit. "One Breath" is still my favorite and so at the time of watching it, I felt "Memento" played too closely to that. Now I've realized while they did play it similar, they actually had Skinner be the one to meet with The Smoking Man and it raised the stakes! How did I forget to mention that??! For as much as David and Gillian get credit for this one, its ALL of the supporting characters that I had the most fun watching.

    ReplyDelete