Monday, February 27, 2012

X-Files Rerun "Ice"

"Bring Mittens."
Originally Aired 11/5/93

I have a strange relationship with this episode. I love John Carpenter's The Thing and this episode does a great job of recreating the paranoia in that movie, but that has little to do with my feelings towards "Ice." Thing is, I first saw this on the Sci Fi Channel before I became a fan and I really loved it. But once I started watching more episodes, "Ice" lost it's luster. I'll admit now that I can't judge the value of an episode based off the episodes surrounding it; hey, perhaps I am becoming a better critic.


As for the plot of "Ice", Mulder and Scully journey with a crew to Alaska in an attempt to find the cause of death of scientists. Morgan & Wong use the same tactic as with "Squeeze", where they borrow from another source, but this follows closer to The Thing than "Squeeze" did with Kolchak. Yet I think it works more in their favor since they removed the creature effects and enhanced the character drama. Most of what happened in The Thing were the actors reacting to the gooey and creepy effects but this episode's monster effects their hormones, so the monster is actually themselves. They really amp'ed up their performances, especially during the ending freak-out when we find out who's really infected.

I really enjoyed the guest stars here, which featured a Desperate Housewife, Kenny Bania, and John Connor's foster dad. I even recall seeing the guy playing the pilot on Law & Order and Buffy. Duchovny gives a fine performance too because its a departure from the usual quirkiness of Mulder, though the relationship with Scully is still the same (he warned her that he's safer being locked up than she is with the others.)

To wrap it up, I think this is a strong episode that places the focus on acting rather than an interesting monster. I even liked how it ended with a wink to The Thing because we're told that they burned the research facility.

5 comments:

  1. Aww man, I never caught on to the possibility that the ending was a reference to The Thing. Nice catch, but yeah, this is a strong episode, I have to agree with you one hundred per cent on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this episode, probably because it is so similar to The Thing (which is such an awesome movie). I have to say that I'm really impressed with your comment regarding the monster actually being themselves. I suppose this is somewhat obvious, but I'd never really thought about it. Good observation!

    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have I never seen The Thing? I just read the synopsis and it sounds like an X-File so I need to get on that:)
    Another enjoyable review - This episode is a great favorite of mine from season one so I can't read enough good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. So. I just finished The Thing.
    That is an AMAZING movie.... I'm just sitting here yelling expletives at the screen because I don't think I've been that terrified by a movie in a long long long time. And I LOVED it!
    The blood testing sequence was by far the worst to get through (and I mean that in a good way).
    WOW.
    'Ice' is definitely a nod to this movie... not rehashing it by any means, but it's fun to see how they tapped into the same ideas.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I remember watching this for the first time when I was 14, it was so awesome and "cool", but as I watched more over the years, I really appreciate the story too. The isolation of the crew and the paranoia- very neat atmosphere. I thought trying to revive the guy with the defibrillator and then crashing thru his chest was the most intense.

      I liked how this X-Files episode didn't try to match the grossness, they played to their strength and stuck with it as a character piece.

      Delete