Sunday, February 26, 2012

X-Files Rerun "Ghost in the Machine"

Originally Aired 10/29/93

I brake for FBI Agents. (eh, that's all I got this time)
In "Squeeze" we were introduced to a colleague of Scully, now a case is brought to Mulder by one of his old colleagues from his pre-X-Files days. This week's plot seems rather cliched for a sci-fi series but I can't blame them for trying it; every series has the "computer has a mind of it's own" episode, especially so on Star Trek.

Again, another so-so plot but this episode is saved by the performances of the two series stars and the guests. Jerry the FBI agent is a prick who uses Mulder's notes on the case to look good in front of his superiors and even puts down Mulder by saying, "I taught him all he knows", so its nice when Mulder gives a little knowing nod which says, "yeah, he's a dick", behind his back. I've seen Rob LaBelle, who plays a computer programmer, on other shows in the 90's so I wonder if this started his typecasting of tech geeks. Another 90's tv actor named Blu Mankuma is here too, and I just wanted to mention him because of his cool name. And since I'm rewatching this after "Memento Mori", I think I spotted the actress who played Penny Northern.

It's also nice to see an appearance from Deep Throat in his first standalone episode. Even though he wasn't used as much more than a plot device, just the fact that Deep Throat shows up helps to further Mulder's belief in conspiracies and shows that he's not just some paranoid guy stuck in a basement office. The government really is evil. And computers are evil too, because they will eventually enslave us.

As I said, despite the predictable plot, it has its share of fun moments which keeps "Ghost in the Machine" from being a total dud. Mulder brings the funny and Scully gets a piece of the action when she climbs in an air duct, which I always wonder if those things are big enough for a person in real life.

3 comments:

  1. It's great to read a nice review of this one, I've read a lot of negativity surrounding it and whilst I'll be the first to say it isn't one of the greats, it's not one of the worst either.

    Useless piece of trivia, Gillian Barber makes her first appearance here and as well as playing Penny Northern in Nisei and Memento Mori, she'll also appear in Red Museum while Blu Mankuma would reappear in a different role in season five's Mind's Eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ghost in the Machine" may not be a stinker but I think "Red Museum" is. :/

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy this episode and have been surprised at the extremely negative reviews, so it's nice to find like minds. The plot is much more concrete than the previous few, and we continue to get some nice character development for Mulder.

    And yes, it's fun to recognize actors who appear in several small roles throughout the series. There are so many in these early seasons!

    ReplyDelete